Thursday, December 20, 2007

Theological Observations of a Three Year Old

Christmas is a very exciting holiday for a three year old, especially one as full of life as my nephew Isaac. Let's face it - parties, cookies, candy, Transiberian Orchestra (you should see him dance to their music!), lights, SNOW, and presents! Any of those alone are enough to get anyone in a holiday spirit; all of them together, it's no wonder he can't contain his excitement!

Yet he wondered the other day, as he and my sister finished wrapping more gifts, why hasn't he seen Jesus at any of the Christmas parties he's been to? After all, Jesus is the birthday boy, so where was He? And how can Isaac give Him a present if he never sees Him? And then, the best statement- "I know I can't see Him at home, but I should see Him at church, because that's His house."

I am not trying to give Isaac too much credit for deep theological analysis here; I understand the limitations of a three year old's thinking processes. But his comments made me wonder. How many adults will ask themselves these same questions following this Christmas? How many will come into our churches this weekend, looking for the birthday boy, and fail to see Him? How many of us church leaders will get so caught up in the party that we forget to invite the guest of honor?

I pray that I will remember to invite Him, that the kids I minister to will see Jesus, and that we all come before Him ready, just like Isaac, to offer Him our gift of worship.

No comments: